The other day, I was chatting with a business associate, and he started talking about his daughter’s internship and how much she was enjoying her job. The company she works for (Happy Melly) helps businesses find happiness in the workplace. I later went to their website, read some of their blogs and listened to a few podcasts. What an interesting concept!
Employers and employees are so caught up in getting the job done, that they lose focus on what is important – enjoying life. Happy Melly shares stories of how people are becoming happier, more engaged and more productive at work.
Here are some thoughts I had that can be shared with all employees in the workplace:
- Start of the workday quote
- Mid-day daily joke
- Half time intermission – e.g. Play some interactive music or play games such as ping pong, air hockey etc.
- The 7th inning stretch – e.g. Step away from your office for a late afternoon back stretch
Some phrases from Happy Melly’s podcast:
- Philosophy and leadership are deeply rooted
- New ways of approaching business are emerging
- Working together, we can grow both our collective business objective and our individual ones
- Work at play and play at work
- The human project is about making businesses more human
- We are getting serious about happiness
- Loving your job becomes the new standard and not the exception
Most mission statements are used to communicate the purpose of an organization. I think every organization should have a mission statement with an ending sentence that also includes achieving happiness for all staff.